- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 6 rye rolls or whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 12 tomato slices
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- Cover and grill over medium-high heat or broil 4 in. from the grill for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato slices. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Hearty Backyard Burgers
Sort By :
I make these burgers often - this is one of my husband's favorite recipes.
you can get rye rolls at most bakkeries or even at your local grocery store
so where do you get rye rolls?