Hearty Asparagus Quiche Recipe
My husband and I are avid sailors. So, before we head out to the lake on chilly mornings, I like to prepare this hearty quiche, along with coffee and fresh-from-the-oven muffins for a warm wake-up.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (10 inches)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1. Cut eight asparagus spears 4-in. long for garnish. Cut remaining asparagus into 1/2-in. pieces, using only tender parts of stalks. Boil 1 qt. of water in a large saucepan; add salt and all of the asparagus. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse asparagus. Brush bottom of pastry shell with egg white, In a bowl combine asparagus, Swiss cheese and bacon; mix gently. Place in bottom of pastry shell. In another bowl, beat eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour into shell. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Arrange the asparagus spears, spoke fashion, on top of quiche; place cherry tomato halves between spokes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 374 calories, 25 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 165 mg cholesterol, 729 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 17 g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Asparagus Quiche
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC