Hearty Asparagus Quiche Recipe
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (10 inches)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1. Cut eight asparagus spears 4-in. long for garnish. Cut remaining asparagus into 1/2-in. pieces, using only tender parts of stalks. Boil 1 qt. of water in a large saucepan; add salt and all of the asparagus. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse asparagus. Brush bottom of pastry shell with egg white, In a bowl combine asparagus, Swiss cheese and bacon; mix gently. Place in bottom of pastry shell. In another bowl, beat eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour into shell. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Arrange the asparagus spears, spoke fashion, on top of quiche; place cherry tomato halves between spokes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 374 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 165mg cholesterol, 729mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, trace fiber), 17g protein
Reviews for Hearty Asparagus Quiche
"beautiful quiche looks just like picture. Tastes heavenly!! I used Jarlesburg swiss."
"Excellent....I was a bit short on time when I made this, so I used frozen asparagus, and omitted the decorations. Was very good and will definitely make again!"
"This sounds good i' will have to make this some time."