A touch of baking cocoa gives this chili a rich flavor without adding sweetness. When I was growing up in the North, we served chili over rice. But after I married a Texan, I began serving it with chopped onions, shredded cheese and, of course, corn bread! —Audrey Byrne, Lillian, Texas
Featured In: 17 Chili Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium green pepper
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Heartwarming Chili in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p148
Reviews for Heartwarming Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 5, 2017
"In Texas, we don't put beans in our chili : )"
Reviewed Oct. 1, 2013
"Made just like the recipe stated! Wonderful chili.......love it!"
Reviewed May. 10, 2011
"This was absolutely awesome, everyone loved it. Top it with sharp cheddar and sour cream and you are done."
Reviewed Nov. 15, 2010 Edited Mar. 6, 2017
"I love this recipe"