Heartthrob Cookies Recipe
I've made these peppermint-flavored cookies for Valentine's Day as well as wedding receptions. I especially like that they don't require frosting.
- 2 cups butter-flavored shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 15 drops red food coloring
- Red decorating gel
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Tint one portion pink; leave remaining dough white. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut out hearts with a small heart-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour.
- 3. For Heart-to-Heart Cookies: On an ungreased baking sheet, arrange hearts in groups of three in a straight line with sides of hearts touching. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Pipe Valentine phrases on cookies.
- 4. For Valentine Wreaths: On an ungreased baking sheet, arrange alternating colors of six small hearts in a circle with sides of hearts touching. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Pipe Valentine phrases on cookies. Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen (depending on size).
2 cookies equals 214 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 34 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Heartthrob Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC