Heartthrob Cookies Recipe
I've made these peppermint-flavored cookies for Valentine's Day as well as wedding receptions. I especially like that they don't require frosting.
- 2 cups butter-flavored shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 15 drops red food coloring
- Red decorating gel
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Tint one portion pink; leave remaining dough white. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut out hearts with a small heart-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour.
- For Heart-to-Heart Cookies: On an ungreased baking sheet, arrange hearts in groups of three in a straight line with sides of hearts touching. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Pipe Valentine phrases on cookies.
- For Valentine Wreaths: On an ungreased baking sheet, arrange alternating colors of six small hearts in a circle with sides of hearts touching. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Pipe Valentine phrases on cookies. Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen (depending on size).
Originally published as Heartthrob Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p191
Reviews for Heartthrob Cookies(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Kids Desserts >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Peppermint Cookies >