Heartland Meat Cakes Recipe
Meats representative of America's Heartland—beef, pork and ham—are all used in this recipe, which I inherited from my mother. It makes a filling meal and is one of our family's favorites.—Virginia Bloomenrader, Highmore, South Dakota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake:55 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground smoked ham
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups fine bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1. In a bowl, combine beef, pork, ham, egg, onion, mashed potatoes, bread crumbs, milk, salt and pepper; mix until thoroughly combined. Divide into 12 portions, about 1/2 cup each, and shape into oval cakes. Place 1 in. apart in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 2. Combine soup and water; pour over meat. Cover with foil; bake at 350° for 45 minutes, basting occasionally. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 444 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 1,380 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC