Heart-Shaped Cheese Scones
"When you set out a plate of these golden scones flecked with bits of cheddar cheese, everyone will know you've put your heart into your baking," assures Edna Hoffman of Hebron, Indiana. "They're a nice alternative to biscuits."
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoon milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking
- soda; stir in cheese. In small bowl, combine egg, sour cream, oil
- and milk. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; stir in
- egg mixture just until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead gently 10-12 times. Gently pat
- out to 1/3-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. heart-shaped
- cutter. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at
- 425° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to
- wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 203 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 420 mg sodium,