- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3 cups cold 2% milk
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut an 11-in. heart-shaped pattern using parchment or waxed paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each pastry sheet into a 12-in. square. Using pattern and a sharp knife, cut a heart from each sheet; place on greased baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand until soft-set, about 5 minutes. In another bowl, beat cream and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until stiff peaks form; lightly fold into pudding.
- Split each pastry heart into two layers; reserve one of the top layers. Place one of the remaining layers on a serving plate; spread with a third of the pudding mixture. Repeat twice; top with reserved layer.
- Mix confectioners' sugar, water, almond extract and remaining vanilla until smooth; spread over top pastry.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Pipe diagonal lines 1 in. apart over the top. Using a small knife, draw right angles across the piped lines. Refrigerate until set. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Heart's Delight Eclair
"This is SO! Easy to make and quick. I get requests to make this a lot! It's light and fluffy and creamy and sweet. Like your sleeping in a extremely comfy bed ;). This is a must make dish for dessert."
"I have made this recipe many times and it has always produced rave reviews. My sister and another friend requests it every year on their birthday. I usually add fresh sliced strawberries between each layer, which makes it even more delicious and pretty. However, it doesn't matter how I make this Heart's Delight Eclair it is always a big hit."
"This is very light and delicious. I prefer to make it as individual bite size serving. This is done easily with a small cookie cutter. Much easier to eat than the large version that has to be cut."
"This is a frequently requested desserts by family and friends throughout the year. I usually just make it in the regualr rectangular shape because its easier to make and serve and just as beautiful. It is easy to make and OMGreat!!! Its so light and delicious even seconds are requested."
"This is easy and yummy. My whole family loved it.N.R Herriman, Utah"