Heart's Delight Cookies Recipe
“We serve these tender, pretty cookies for afternoon tea at the bed-and-breakfast my husband and I operate with my parents,” notes Angela Everett of Port Arthur, Texas. “The bows make them look very special!”
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Coarse sugar, optional
- 54 ribbons (16 inches x 1/8 inch)
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a heavily floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. While cookies are still warm, poke two holes into each cookie with a straw. When cookies are completely cooled, thread ribbon through holes and tie into a bow; trim ribbon if necessary. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 142 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC