Healthy Wheat Bread Recipe
"I developed this recipe to suit my husband's diet," says Betty Howell of Wichita, Kansas. "This tasty bread has a slightly sweet flavor."
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of all-purpose flour, salt and yeast. In a saucepan, heat water, honey and oil to 120°-130°; stir in cottage cheese. Add to flour mixture with egg whites; blend at low speed until moistened. Beat for 3 minutes on medium. Add whole wheat flour, wheat germ, oats and enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves. Place in two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown; cover with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (32 slices).
1 slice: 100 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Healthy Wheat Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC