Healthy Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 3 large green peppers
- 2 cups frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Discard stems. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the meat crumbles, rice, onion, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese and seasonings. Spoon into pepper halves. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and peppers are tender. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 3 servings.
2 stuffed pepper halves equals 364 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 605 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Healthy Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
"Morningstar makes vegetarian "meat" crumbles. You can find them in the frozen food aisles. I use them to make vegetarian tacos."
"What in the world are "vegetarian meat crumbles"?"