No one will even miss the meat in this hearty, cheesy vegetarian meal. Brown rice helps make the tender peppers surprisingly filling, and the seasonings add lots of flavor. It makes especially nice weeknight family fare! Lisa DeMarsh - Mt. Solon, VA
- 3 large green peppers
- 2 cups frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Discard stems. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat crumbles, rice, onion, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese and seasonings. Spoon into pepper halves. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and peppers are tender. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers in Healthy Cooking August/September 2009, p53
Reviews for Healthy Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review