Healthy Tuscan Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, julienned
- 2 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute peppers and prosciutto until peppers are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, broth, basil, oregano and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 4 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 1 cup vegetable mixture equals 304 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 389 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 38 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.