My family loves Chinese food, but it's hard to find healthy choices in restaurants or at the grocery store. So instead, I make these healthy dumplings into a great family activity. With many hands helping out, filling the dumplings goes by fast. When we are done, we have lots of dumplings to put in the freezer for months to come. —Melody Crain, Houston, Texas
- 1 cup finely shredded Chinese or napa cabbage
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 50 pot sticker or gyoza wrappers
- 6 cabbage leaves
- Sweet chili sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients. Add turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Place 1 tablespoon filling in center of each pot sticker wrapper. (Cover remaining wrappers with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Moisten wrapper edge with water. Fold wrapper over filling; seal edges, pleating the front side several times to form a pleated pouch. Stand dumplings on a work surface to flatten bottoms; curve slightly to form crescent shapes, if desired.
Line a steamer basket with six cabbage leaves. In batches, arrange dumplings 1 in. apart over cabbage; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; steam, covered, 6-8 minutes or until cooked through. Discard cabbage. If desired, serve with chili sauce.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze cooled dumplings on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to a large resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, microwave dumplings, covered, for 30-45 seconds or until heated through. Yield: 50 dumplings.
Originally published as Healthy Steamed Dumplings in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2014
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Healthy Steamed Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Ham Buns >