Healthy Slow-Cooked Meat Loaf Recipe
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1. Cut four 20-in. x 3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 3-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, 1 cup spaghetti sauce, egg, onion, and seasonings. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf; place in the center of the strips.
- 3. Spoon remaining spaghetti sauce over meat loaf. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°. Using foil strips as handles, remove meat loaf to a platter. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 243 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 635 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.