Healthy Scalloped Tomatoes
Warm and comforting, this old-fashioned side dish is a great way to use up garden bounty. From West Salem, Wisconsin, Norma Pipe says, "I lightened the original recipe by using less butter and flour and only a bit of honey."
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, toasted and cubed
- 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- In a nonstick skillet, cook onion and celery in butter until tender.
- Stir in the flour until blended; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the
- honey, mustard, salt and pepper until blended. Stir in bread cubes
- and tomatoes.
- Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 88 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 304 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,