Healthy Sausage Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 pound reduced-fat smoked sausage, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook and stir onion and celery over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the sausage, carrot and garlic; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until onion is tender.
- 2. Stir in the broth, water, lentils, oregano, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- 3. Stir in the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and spinach; cook until heated through and spinach is wilted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 180 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 639 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.