- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 pound reduced-fat smoked sausage, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook and stir onion and celery over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the sausage, carrot and garlic; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until onion is tender.
- Stir in the broth, water, lentils, oregano, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and spinach; cook until heated through and spinach is wilted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Healthy Sausage Lentil Soup
Sort By :
"I love, love this recipe. It is so easy and uses easy simple ingredients found in our local "small town grocer." We substitute V8 juice for the stewed tomatoes and omit the spinach. Than add the juice and Worcestershire sauce with the broth and other ingred and simmer 45-50 minutes. It reheats well and can also be frozen. Did I say I LOVE this recipe (grin)!"
"Unbelievable. This is a staple soup for us. No fuss preparation."
"This recipe was very good.I used no water and cannellini beans in place of lentils.I also skipped the tomatoes and spinach-but very good and Im sure even better the second day!"
"This recipe is the greatest! Ive made it twice, my son that doesn't like vegtetables. loved this soup. Everyone loved it . I noticed the second time I made it I put more sausage, spinach . I also added corn and squash and cannellini beans it was DELICIOUS. Next time I am going to add some shrimp."
"This recipe is the greatest! Ive made it twice, my son that doesn't like vegtetables. loved this soup. Everyone loved it . I noticed the second time I made it I put more sausage, spinach . I also added corn and squash and cannellini beans it was DELICIOUS. Next time I am going to add some shrimp"