Healthy Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, divided
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the bread crumbs, chili powder, salt, oregano, cumin, pepper, 2/3 cup diced tomatoes with green chilies, yogurt and egg. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into a loaf and place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon the remaining diced tomatoes over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Drain if necessary; let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 296 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 672 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.