- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, divided
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 pounds ground beef
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the bread crumbs, chili powder, salt, oregano, cumin, pepper, 2/3 cup diced tomatoes with green chilies, yogurt and egg. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a loaf and place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon the remaining diced tomatoes over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Drain if necessary; let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Healthy Meatloaf
Sort By :
"My husband told me it was the best meatloaf he's eaten and told me to keep the recipe and make it again. Thank you Mary Relyea for sharing your recipe."
"Very good the night I served it. For some reason, it was FANTASTIC as leftovers."
"My husband loved all the meat!"
"Where is the photo as published in my Healthy Cooking magazine?"
"Success! Children and hubby had second helpings."