Welcome your family in from the cold with this moist and delicious meat loaf with wonderful Southwest taco flavor. This is down-home comfort food at its healthy best! —Mary Relyea, Canastota, New York
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, divided
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the bread crumbs, chili powder, salt, oregano, cumin, pepper, 2/3 cup diced tomatoes with green chilies, yogurt and egg. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a loaf and place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon the remaining diced tomatoes over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Drain if necessary; let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Meat Loaf in Healthy Cooking February/March 2011, p53
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Healthy Meatloaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review