Healthy Lemon Cake Recipe
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free lemon gelatin
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) apricot nectar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; add the batter.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. With a meat fork or wooden skewer, poke holes in cake.
- 3. Set aside 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar. In a small bowl, combine the remaining confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. Gradually pour over warm cake. Cool completely. Dust with reserved confectioners' sugar. Yield: 14 servings.
1 slice equals 227 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 274 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.