- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, brown roast on all sides; drain. Combine the water, garlic and seasonings; pour over roast. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Discard bay leaves. Remove roast to a serving platter; let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, for gravy, pour pan drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring cup; skim and discard fat. Transfer to a small saucepan. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice beef; serve with gravy. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Healthy Italian Pot Roast
"Where are the stars?"
"I've been making this for several years. After browning the meat I add 1/2 cup water to the pan and bring to boil, loosening the bits of meat. Then put meat, seasonings and liquid into a crockpot to cook until tender."
"This was the best pot roast I've ever made. It was very simple to make. I accidentally added the corn starch at the very beginning so I had to add more liquid to the sauce during cooking. The crushed red pepper flakes made this a bit spicy. Not extremely, but if you have someone that doesn't like the heat, you could leave this out. The gravy/sauce was outstanding on mashed potatoes. A keeper in our family"