"I found a recipe in the newspaper that sounded great, but the ingredients were too high in fat for us," writes Karen Schmidt of Plymouth, Wisconsin. "So I adapted it and created this salad with good-for-you ingredients like brown rice and turkey pepperoni."
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 4 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni, quartered
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Italian Market Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2004, p17
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Healthy Italian Market Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 10, 2013
"What can I substitute the green peppers with? My tummy doesn't like peppers. :("