Healthy Irish Soda Bread Recipe
Both my husband and I are diabetics, I have found that Splenda is great for replacing sugar in many recipes, including this one. It is the fastest bread you can make...and so tasty! Ruth Russell of Clyde, North Carolina
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar substitute, baking soda and salt; cut in butter. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Fold in currants. Knead on a floured surface 8-10 times. Shape into a 7-in. round loaf; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Originally published as Irish Soda Bread in Light & Tasty February/March 2005, p31
Reviews for Healthy Irish Soda Bread(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 1, 2012
My husband made five loaves for a St. Patty's Day Potluck at our church, and everyone LOVED it!