Healthy Hoppin' John Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, carrots and celery in oil for 3 minutes. Add sausage; cook 3 minutes longer. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Stir in the peas, stock, bay leaf, thyme, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Simmer, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until carrots are tender.
- 3. Discard bay leaf. Combine rice and chopped green onions; divide among six bowls. Top with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with sliced green onion. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 352 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 817 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Reviews for Healthy Hoppin' John
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.