Healthy Coffee Angel Food Cake Recipe
A special dessert that tastes great with minimal calories can be hard to find, but Patricia Bristow has one for you! The Saint Louis, Missouri cook shares her mother’s recipe for a tender cake with a subtle coffee flavor. It’s sure to be hit!
- 12 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, dissolve coffee granules in boiling water; set aside. Sift flour and sugar together twice; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar, extracts, salt and coffee mixture to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add brown sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Coffee Angel Food Cake in Light & Tasty October/November 2007, p49
Reviews for Healthy Coffee Angel Food Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Angel Food Cake >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Desserts >