Healthy Clam Chowder Recipe
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat margarine
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 6 medium unpeeled red potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the mushrooms, celery and onion in margarine until tender. In a bowl, whisk the soup, clam juice and wine or broth; stir into vegetable mixture. Add the potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add clams; cover and simmer for 5-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
1 cup: 202 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 497mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Healthy Clam Chowder
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.