"I make this chowder for our annual Souper Bowl luncheon at work, and everybody loves it!" comments Chris Sheetz of Olmsted Falls, Ohio. "I've slimmed it down by using both reduced-fat margarine and mushroom soup." Tender chunks of red potatoes add color and texture to her thick chowder.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat margarine
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 6 medium unpeeled red potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the mushrooms, celery and onion in margarine until tender. In a bowl, whisk the soup, clam juice and wine or broth; stir into vegetable mixture. Add the potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add clams; cover and simmer for 5-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Clam Chowder in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p13
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Healthy Clam Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2011
"I served it at 2 different holiday dinner parties & of the 3 soups I made, they loved this one the most. I think I'd use less than 8 oz clam juice next time."