Healthy Clam Chowder Recipe
"I make this chowder for our annual Souper Bowl luncheon at work, and everybody loves it!" comments Chris Sheetz of Olmsted Falls, Ohio. "I've slimmed it down by using both reduced-fat margarine and mushroom soup." Tender chunks of red potatoes add color and texture to her thick chowder.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat margarine
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 6 medium unpeeled red potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the mushrooms, celery and onion in margarine until tender. In a bowl, whisk the soup, clam juice and wine or broth; stir into vegetable mixture. Add the potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add clams; cover and simmer for 5-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Clam Chowder in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p13
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Healthy Clam Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2011
I served it at 2 different holiday dinner parties & of the 3 soups I made, they loved this one the most. I think I'd use less than 8 oz clam juice next time.