Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
“I tasted tortilla soup at a restaurant and decided I could come up with an easy recipe to duplicate the taste at home,” writes Kim Seeger of Brooklyn Park, Minnesota.
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Broil chicken 3-4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chilies and seasonings. Shred chicken with two forks; add to soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place tortilla strips on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until crisp. Serve with soup. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Chicken Tortilla Soup in Simple & Delicious January/February 2007, p42
Reviews for Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Chicken Tortilla Soup >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >
- Mexican Soups >