- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Broil chicken 3-4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chilies and seasonings. Shred chicken with two forks; add to soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place tortilla strips on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until crisp. Serve with soup. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Sort By :
"Added corn and black beans."
"We enjoyed this recipe very much. I made a few changes to give it a bit more flavor. I doubled the amount of garlic and cumin, and added another teaspoon of chili powder. I used 2 cans of black beans instead of the kidney beans, and I also added 1 can of undrained Mexicorn and a couple of dashes of hot sauce. We like it a bit on the spicier side, but it wasn't too hot. It sounds like I made a lot of changes, but the basic recipe is a good one, easily adapted to your taste."
"Lots of flavor, I cooked the chicken right in with the garlic and onion, and took out to shred."
"I wasn't very impressed with this recipe. I've tasted other recipes similar to this that I liked better."