- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Broil chicken 3-4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chilies and seasonings. Shred chicken with two forks; add to soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place tortilla strips on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until crisp. Serve with soup. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
"This is my new favorite comfort food! I've always wanted to make this kind of soup but was always a bit daunted by other recipes. This one is yummy and has the perfect amount of heat so it's not overwhelming. The only things I changed was I only had a can of black beans instead of kidney beans and I added 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn at the end. I had whole wheat tortillas and used those to make the strips. Soooo good!!"
"The recipe is good, but I think more chili powder could be added to the recipe in order to add more spice (we like a lot of spice in our family). The recipe as is was slightly bland. It also wouldn't hurt to season the chicken prior to broiling it so that there's that extra kick in the soup."
"Added corn and black beans."
"We enjoyed this recipe very much. I made a few changes to give it a bit more flavor. I doubled the amount of garlic and cumin, and added another teaspoon of chili powder. I used 2 cans of black beans instead of the kidney beans, and I also added 1 can of undrained Mexicorn and a couple of dashes of hot sauce. We like it a bit on the spicier side, but it wasn't too hot. It sounds like I made a lot of changes, but the basic recipe is a good one, easily adapted to your taste."
"Lots of flavor, I cooked the chicken right in with the garlic and onion, and took out to shred."
"I wasn't very impressed with this recipe. I've tasted other recipes similar to this that I liked better."
"I add corn instead of the beans and always add some chipotle tabasco. Delicious every time!"
"My husband and I LOVE this soup! I've made it several times. It's very spicy with the chiles, so I prefer to leave them out. It's so healthy and it really fills you up. I will continue to make it again and again. Delicious!!!"