Healthy Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup browning sauce
- 1-1/3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, divided
- 1 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free sour cream
- 6 cups cooked no-yolk noodles
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, cook the chicken with browning sauce until browned. Add 1 cup broth, wine or additional broth, ketchup, garlic and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. Combine flour and remaining 1/3 cup broth until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Add reserved mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Stir in sour cream; heat through (do not boil). Serve over noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 535 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 1339mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 4g fiber), 41g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Healthy Chicken Stroganoff
"We both liked this dish, but I made a few changes to it. I only used 1/2 lb of mushrooms. I used a 14 oz can of beef broth and filled in the rest with water. I used 2 T of cornstarch in place of the flour. I replaced the browning sauce with 2 T Worcestershire sauce and 2 T low-sodium soy sauce. I omitted the salt completely since there is plenty in the other ingredients already. I would make this again."
"We did not like the flavor."
"I have been searching for a chicken Storganoff recipe for years. I did not use browning sauce when cooking the chicken- just used about a teaspoon of olive oil. I added some worchestershire sauce for a richer flavor. By chopping and prepping in the morning this would be an easy weekinight meal. I will definitely make this again!"
"My mother originally found this recipe in a magazine she had read and cut it out to save. From the first time she made this pasta we were all hooked!! then about 6months later it came up missing.. It has been about a year scince we have had this and i have been going crazy! I am so glad that i finally came acroos it here and am sooo excited to tell my mom tomorrow!! this dish is absolutely wonderful and i would not change a thing!!"
"Sodium level is excessive, needs to be cut by 75% if to be considered "healthy"."
"This recipe is delicious!"
"What is browning sauce and where do I find it?"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.