Healthy Chicken Dumpling Soup Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken until no longer pink. Add the broth, water, vegetables and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, for dumplings, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites and cottage cheese until blended. Add water and salt. Stir in the flour and mix well.
- 3. Bring soup to a boil. Drop dumplings by tablespoonfuls onto the boiling soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in dumplings comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 363 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 900 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 42 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.