“If you like mushrooms, you’ll love this yummy broiled appetizer,” assures Kelli Egbert of Idaho Falls, Idaho. A tasty cheese filling is easy to combine and tuck into large mushroom caps.
Recommended: 95 Tasty Low-Carb Dinner Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 hard-cooked egg, finely chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 large fresh mushrooms
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, egg, bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon butter, garlic and salt; set aside. Remove stems from mushrooms. Place mushroom caps, hollow side down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush with remaining butter.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes or just until tender. Turn over; stuff with cheese mixture. Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until lightly browned and heated through. Yield: 8 appetizers.
Originally published as Stuffed Mushrooms in Cooking for 2 Winter 2009, p39