Healthy Beef Stew Recipe
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups quartered peeled small onions
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 4 tablespoons flour, paprika and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat. Add the water, tomato paste, bouillon, 1-1/2 teaspoons basil, 3/4 teaspoon thyme, 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- 3. Add the potatoes, onions and carrots. Cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- 4. Discard bay leaves. In a small bowl, combine the parsley, salt, and the remaining flour, basil, thyme and garlic powder. Add cold water; stir until smooth. Stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 336 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 512 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Healthy Beef Stew
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.