Healthy Apple Sweet Potato Bake Recipe
- 3 cups sliced peeled cooked sweet potatoes
- 3 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 2 large)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. In a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the sweet potatoes and apples. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, nutmeg, allspice, salt and pepper; sprinkle half over apples. Dot with half of the butter. Repeat layers.
- 2. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Baste with pan juices. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 cup: 167 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 103mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Healthy Apple Sweet Potato Bake
"Perfect balance of flavors without being overly sweet. As noted by others, this dish would work with even less sugar as the apples lend a natural sweetness to the dish. I may not make sweet potatoes any other way from now on!"
"Just the recipe I was looking for. It went really well together and wasn't too sweet. A nice side dish with ham!"
"The tart apple combination is a winner! Everyone raved. Very pretty too."
"Excellent. Next time I will cut down the sugar as the apples naturally sweeten things up."
"Easy to make and GREAT taste.Not as sweet as some of them :-)Will make again."
"Really yummy with my pork roast. I just added a sprinkle of cinnamon on both layers, which was delicious. Definitely try this one!"
"This was outstanding! I wouldn't change a thing! Awesome!"
"I'll make the recipe as is the 1st time. The second time I make it, I think I'll add cinnamon and maybe a small amount of chopped pecans or walnuts. I think it is going to be a great addition to my side dishes!"