Healthy Apple Cobbler Recipe
The fragrant aroma of apples and cinnamon wafting from the kitchen will whet your appetite for the yummy fall favorite from Vivian Haen of Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 4 large)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add apples and orange juice; toss to coat. Transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. For topping, combine the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop eight mounds onto the apple mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Serve warm if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving equals 253 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 184 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fruit.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC