- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 4 large)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add apples and orange juice; toss to coat. Transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- For topping, combine the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop eight mounds onto the apple mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Serve warm if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Healthy Apple Cobbler
"I added more cinnamon because we love the taste of cinnamon. I baked this in a 9 x 9 because it didn't seem like enough batter to me. Then I had to bake it a tad longer. Excellent recipe."
"Was tasty but next time I will add more apples because I like my cobblers with alot of apples and less bread. I will make it again with more apples, thanks!!!!!!"
"great taste I did use splenda instead of the sugar and turned out great you have no idea that it is healthy version even my 5 year old loved it. will be making this again on wen. for friends"
"How do you get the ad off on the rt.side of the recipe? Wastes a lot of my printer colors & I sure don't need the ad. Can someone do something about this? Other web sites have a box to check off so that the ad does not print off with the recipe. Hope you can do the same. Thanks"
"Delicous! I, too, used a sugar substitute (Truvia). Next time I will spread out the dropped biscuits a bit as they didn't spread during baking. Good recipe!"
"This is as good as apple pie but Much easier. I'm gluten free so I used Pamalas pancake mix for the flour substitute. I also didnt have O.J so I used apple juice. I used extra large geen apples. I left everything else as written. It is one of the best desserts I've ever eaten."
"The orange juice gives the apples a very interesting flavor, and overall it tasted pretty good, especially for a light recipe."
"I made this for my family and they ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!! They made me make it again the following week!! I made them with just regular mac apples. I want to also try it with granny smith apples but haven't yet!! Great recipe... YUMMY!"
"Excellent! I used golden delicious apples and substituted splenda for the sugar... will definitely make again and again!"