Hazelnut Yule Logs
Besides being irresistibly nutty, these travel well and are a snap to make! — Barbara Burge, Los Gatos, California
55 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./ batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in lemon juice and peel. In another bowl, mix flour and salt;
- gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Place hazelnuts in a small bowl. On a lightly floured surface, roll
- 1/2 cupfuls of dough into 1/2-in.-thick ropes, about 22 inches long.
- Cut ropes into 2-in. logs. Lightly brush each log with water; roll
- in hazelnuts to coat. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until light brown. Remove to
- wire racks to cool. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.