—Helen Gerard, Milwaukie, Oregon
10-12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-3/4 cups finely ground hazelnuts
- Pinch salt
- Chocolate icing, coarsely chopped hazelnuts and fresh mint, optional
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and
- lemon-colored. Stir in nuts. In another bowl, beat egg whites and
- salt until stiff peaks form. Fold a small amount into batter until
- no streaks of white remain; add remaining egg whites.
- Pour into an ungreased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for
- 35-40 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Invert
- pan; cool completely.
- Just before serving, remove sides of pan. If desired, drizzle with
- icing, sprinkle with nuts and garnish with mint. Yield: 10-12
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 170 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 44 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.