I invented this recipe a few years ago after eating hazelnut whole wheat bread at a restaurant. Each savory slice has a tender crumb that appeals to all palates. —Loraine Meyer, Bend, Oregon
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely chopped hazelnuts
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, potato flakes, shortening, sugar, eggs, salt, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a stiff dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 14-in. x 9-in. rectangle.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and egg yolks until creamy. Add milk and vanilla; mix well. Stir in hazelnuts. Spread over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seams to seal. Place seam side down in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Cover with foil. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Hazelnut Swirl Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p42
Reviews for Hazelnut Swirl Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review