Hazelnut Shortbread Hearts Recipe
Toasted hazelnuts add a nice crunch and flavor to these rich, buttery hearts. The drizzle of dark and white chocolate gives the cookies an impressive look, but they couldn't be easier to make.—Monique Theoret, Wooster, Ohio
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground toasted hazelnuts
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Combine flour and hazelnuts; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. Drizzle bittersweet and white chocolate over cookies; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 7-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 63 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 22 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC