Hazelnut Shortbread Hearts Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground toasted hazelnuts
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Combine flour and hazelnuts; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. Drizzle bittersweet and white chocolate over cookies; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 7-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 63 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 22mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0g fiber), 1g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 0 starch, 0 fat.
Reviews for Hazelnut Shortbread Hearts
"Loved these but I had to use pine nuts instead of the hazelnuts. My family really liked them, though. And they were pretty on the plate."
"no star at all"
"I made these cookies today, for Valentines Day. I didn't have heart shaped cookie cutter, but I did have a Linzer cookie cutter with a heart in the middle. I made 2 cookies, 1 plain, and 1 with a heart cutout, and put them together with raspberry preserves in the middle. They turned out great. I will buy a heart shaped cookie cutter, and try them with the chocolate on top. I think they would also be good as the Linzer cookies, with Nutella in the middle. Many possibilities!"