Hazelnut-Raisin Corn Bread
I entered the corn recipe contest at the 1998 Iowa State Fair. I improvised with a banana nut bread recipe I had. I replaced the bananas with cream-style corn and used hazelnuts instead of pecans. I won both the blue ribbon and the overall ribbon!
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup finely crushed hazelnuts
- Place the raisins in a small bowl; add boiling water. Cover and let
- stand for 10 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream
- butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the
- flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture. Stir in the
- corn, nuts and raisins.
- Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake 350° for
- 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire
- racks. Yield: 2 loaves (8 slices each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 233 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium,