- In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking soda and ground hazelnuts;
- add to creamed mixture alternately with ricotta cheese, beating
- after each addition just until combined. Fold in pears and chopped
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 55-65 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes
- before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Heat 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly.
- Transfer to a bowl. Stir in milk, vanilla and enough confectioners'
- sugar to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake. Yield:
- 16 servings.
Editor’s Note: To remove cakes easily, use solid shortening to grease plain and fluted tube pans. To toast whole hazelnuts, spread hazelnuts in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake in a 350° oven 7-10 minutes or until fragrant and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. To remove skins, wrap hazelnuts in a tea towel; rub with towel to loosen skins.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 533 calories, 30 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 193 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.