Hazelnut Mocha Torte Recipe
This dessert is reminiscent of fine European cakes. I recently made it for my mother, who is German, and it brought back fond memories for her.
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups ground hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- MOCHA GANACHE:
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Additional ground hazelnuts
- Whole hazelnuts and chocolate leaves
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form. Combine hazelnuts and flour; fold into batter, 1/4 cup at a time. Spoon into two greased 9-in. round baking pans lined with waxed paper.
- 2. Bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 3. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the ganache ingredients; cook and stir over low heat until chocolate and butter are melted. Remove from the heat. Set saucepan in ice; stir for 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Remove from ice and set aside.
- 4. For buttercream, combine sugar and water in a large heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Add a small amount of hot mixture to egg yolks; return all to pan. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- 5. In a large bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in cooked sugar mixture. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. If necessary, refrigerate until buttercream reaches spreading consistency.
- 6. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with half of ganache to within 1/4 in. of edges. Top with second cake layer and remaining ganache. Freeze for 5 minutes. Spread hazelnuts into sides of cake. Garnish with whole hazelnuts and chocolate leaves. Refrigerate. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 355 calories, 27 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 166 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC