Hazelnut Mocha Torte Recipe
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups ground hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- MOCHA GANACHE:
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Additional ground hazelnuts
- Whole hazelnuts and chocolate leaves
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form. Combine hazelnuts and flour; fold into batter, 1/4 cup at a time. Spoon into two greased 9-in. round baking pans lined with waxed paper.
- 2. Bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 3. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the ganache ingredients; cook and stir over low heat until chocolate and butter are melted. Remove from the heat. Set saucepan in ice; stir for 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Remove from ice and set aside.
- 4. For buttercream, combine sugar and water in a large heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Add a small amount of hot mixture to egg yolks; return all to pan. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- 5. In a large bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in cooked sugar mixture. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. If necessary, refrigerate until buttercream reaches spreading consistency.
- 6. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with half of ganache to within 1/4 in. of edges. Top with second cake layer and remaining ganache. Freeze for 5 minutes. Spread hazelnuts into sides of cake. Garnish with whole hazelnuts and chocolate leaves. Refrigerate. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 355 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Hazelnut Mocha Torte
"The cake turned out well, but I have some questions/comments: 1. My 9" cake isn't as tall as the picture. The cake layers are pretty thin. What's the diameter of the cake in the picture? I'm thinking of doubling it next time and going for 4 layers. 2. The waxed paper was new to me. I had to play with it to really get it down in the corners. 3. The batter doesn't smooth out like a typical cake. I played with that, too, and got better with the 2nd layer. 4. I had to do step 4 twice. I think we are to break the yokes and mix them before we start this process. I'm new to this as well, so cooked some of the yoke the fist time. The second time, I broke yokes and went more gradually than the instructions. Is that right? Seems fine now. 5. Step 6 does skip over the actual frosting. To be safe, I froze the cake again for a few minutes before starting that. I learned a lot!"
"It was a huge success!!!!"
"The last three steps in the instructions are all about frosting the cake."
"Didn't you skip the frosting the cake part of the instructions? Unless I'm totally missing it.. (Buttercream)?"
"I keep reading this recipe and haven't the instructions about spreading the buttercream icing left off?"
"What a cake!Truly the best one I have ever made. It isn't easy but well worth it!"