- 1/2 cup whole hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a food processor, combine the hazelnuts and confectioners' sugar; cover and process until nuts are finely chopped. Set aside. Melt 1 tablespoon butter. Brush two Madeleine pans with butter. Dust with 2 tablespoons flour; tap pans to remove excess flour and set aside. Place remaining butter in a saucepan. Melt over low heat for 4-5 minutes or until a light amber color; set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and a pale lemon color. Stir in melted butter and vanilla. Combine the baking powder, salt and remaining flour; stir into butter mixture just until combined. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Gently fold in reserved nut mixture.
- With a tablespoon, fill prepared pans two-thirds full. Bake at 325° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes before inverting pans onto wire racks to remove cookies. Cool completely. Lightly dust with additional confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Hazelnut Madeleine Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p219
Reviews for Hazelnut Madeleine Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review