Hazelnut-Espresso Sandwich Cookies Recipe
The inspiration for this cute cookie came from my sister's description of a hazelnut cookie she tried in Italy. She declared my version to be a wonderful approximation. My family likes to help fill and trim them. —Cindy Beberman, Orland Park, Illinois
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 teaspoons instant espresso granules
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup finely ground hazelnuts
- 1-3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1-1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, yolk, espresso granules and vanilla. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in hazelnuts.
- 2. Divide dough into thirds; flatten each portion into a circle. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-1/2-in. cookie cutter; place 1/2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough; chill and reroll scraps.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 5. For filling, place 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Refrigerate for 1-1/2 hours or until filling reaches spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
- 6. Spread filling over the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. In a microwave, melt remaining semisweet chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC