Hazelnut Chocolate Cake Roll Recipe
Don't be intimidated to prepare this dramatic dessert from our Test Kitchen! It's actually quite easy to make. Plus, it can be assembled the day before serving.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in water and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well.
- 3. In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with baking cocoa. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5. For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Fold in hazelnuts and chocolate. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again.
- 6. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 261 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 118 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Hazelnut Chocolate Cake Roll
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC