Don't be intimidated to prepare this dramatic dessert from our Test Kitchen! It's actually quite easy to make. Plus, it can be assembled the day before serving.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in water and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with baking cocoa. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Fold in hazelnuts and chocolate. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again.
- Place seam side down on a serving platter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Hazelnut Chocolate Cake Roll in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p56
Reviews for Hazelnut Chocolate Cake Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review