Hazelnut Chip Scones Recipe
"When I made a friend's scone recipe, I didn't have enough milk, so I substituted hazelnut-flavored nondairy creamer and added chocolate chips," relates Elisa Lochridge from Beaverton, Oregon. "Everyone loved them!"
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, separated
- 1-1/2 cups refrigerated hazelnut nondairy creamer or half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Additional sugar
- SPICED BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and creamer; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough in half. Pat each portion into a 7-in. circle; cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on greased baking sheets.
- 3. Beat egg white; brush over dough. Sprinkle with additional sugar. Bake at 425° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the spiced butter ingredients; beat until smooth. Serve with warm scones. Yield: 16 scones.
1 serving (1 each) equals 399 calories, 22 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 333 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Hazelnut Chip Scones
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC