Hazelnut Chiffon Cake Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- MOCHA FROSTING:
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot brewed coffee
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, hazelnuts, baking powder and salt. Whisk the egg yolks, water, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended. In another large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- 2. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest rack at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert the pan onto a wire rack; cool completely. Carefully run a knife around edges and center tube to loosen; remove cake.
- 3. In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in the baking cocoa, vanilla and enough coffee to achieve desired consistency. Frost cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 slice: 399 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Hazelnut Chiffon Cake
"Amazing! I have never made a chiffon before, but this worked like a charm! It was soft like an angel-food cake, but WONDERFULLY nutty. Delicious! I have to confess, I doubled the vanilla and used all eight egg yolks. (so nothing was wasted and I didn't have to find another thing to cook) I'm not sure if all the frosting proportions are right for liquids to sugar/cocoa, but it's an easy butter-cream, no prob to adjust and mess with. Definitely a "do again!""
"This recipe is awful! It came out heavy and dry. The icing was nothing like it was supposed to be. I had to add to it to try to fix it. Horrible texture and taste. And I spent $10 on hazelnuts, so I'm not happy with this recipe at all."